I read in one of The Be Series Commentary by Warren Weisbe,“The church is a family and the goal is maturity.” So where are you in the family of God? Are you growing or mixing Christianity with man’s wisdoms, ideas and trends? Something to ponder.
Please enjoy this podcast on your favorite podcast platform. Although efforts were made in editing, this transcript may include a few typos. It’s difficult to catch some minor errors. Enjoy!
Welcome to Hanging Out With Jesus Podcast. The place where we help you identify what’s hindering you from moving forward in Christ and your destiny, and then, providing disciplines to help you remove the barriers in order for you to see who you are and whose you are in Christ Jesus, so you can Go And Do what God’s designed you to do.
Hi, I’m your host, Lyvita and founder of The Me Project Academy and its newsletter all designed to equip and encourage you with the tools needed to help you come out of complacency and be a Hearer who applies God’s word intentional and always within your life. For more information about this podcast, the academy, or get in contact with me go to www.hangingoutwithjesuspodcast.com.
You will need a pad, pen, and bible with a quiet place to ponder because it’s time to take inventory and remember just who we, you, I am in Christ …
So stop what you are doing and come walk with us, where we intentionally and daily hang out with Jesus.
Key Topics With Time Stamps / Transcript With Time Stamps
6:35 – Saints are you growing in Christ or mixing Christianity with Man’s wisdoms, ideas, and trends saying that it’s growth because the world is changing?
First Corinthians 3: 1-4 from the NIV reads,
3 Brothers and sisters, I could not address you as people who live by the Spirit but as people who are still worldly—mere infants in Christ. 2 I gave you milk, not solid food, for you were not yet ready for it. Indeed, you are still not ready. 3 You are still worldly. For since there is jealousy and quarreling among you, are you not worldly? Are you not acting like mere humans? 4 For when one says, “I follow Paul,” and another, “I follow Apollos,” are you not mere human beings?
7:40 – Here we find Paul identifying that there are two types of people in the world.
One type is spiritual, saved.
The other type is natural, fleshly, worldly, unsaved.
Then we find in that same chapter Paul further breaking down a spiritual, saved person as a mature believer (that can eat meat) or an immature believer (that is a mere infant drinking milk). It’s here that we begin to get a glimpse of who we are right now. Are we the believers we think we are and what changes need to be made and why? Maturity has a lot to do with your understanding and application of God’s word to your life.
8:50 – Let’s start with what’s an Immature Believer (and you may want to write these down)
· Knows the basic facts about our Lord Jesus Christ’s life on earth, i.e., Jesus died for our sins, God is good and God helps us.
· Lives off of Bible stories and could share a few like the birth of Jesus and relates to the “hero’s” in the Bible, like David and Goliath, Samson and Delilah, and, “I follow Apollos, I follow Paul,” and I follow Kirk Franklin.
· Very little understanding of “the secret hidden wisdom of God” found in First Corinthians 2:6-7. Now those verses are something to ponder.
· Likes to disagree and fuss over things in the Bible because their understanding comes from man’s wisdom and not knowing what is really in the Bible. For example, “the world is changing and so should Christians, because we need to stay relevant and go with the times.” Saints there is so much in that one statement that is not biblical, but with studying the bible and guidance from the Holy Spirit, you can identify man’s wisdom being entangled to get the believers off track.
· Uses their gifts and talents like toys and trophies to boast about. They do more showing off then serving, more “look at me” then can I help you. Saints, we have heard this, “This is my church. I started it.”
· Drink the milk of the word which is simply knowing what Jesus is doing or has done of earth. Think of this as Sunday church-goers or Tuesday Bible study students who attend but apply nothing during the rest of the week or spend time with God in His word.
12:06 – Now the mature believer. This is where we all want to be and stay, maturing intentionally and daily:
· Know truths about Lord Jesus Christ’s ministry on earth and heaven because they read and study the Bible. For example, God is love but also a jealous God and a God of grace and mercy. Now that’s deep!
· Lives on Bible precepts, doctrines, statues and practices it
· Understands the difference between man’s wisdom and God’s wisdom and how one can influence your thinking of the other, for example accepting a man who has his father’s wife as read in chapter 5 verse 1-2
· Uses their gifts and talents as tools to build up others, serve others, share the Gospel, make disciples with love and seek to get along.
· Eating the meat of God’s word which is knowing what Jesus has done on earth, is doing on earth, will do when He returns on earth and what He is doing in heaven.
· They eat a balanced developmental spiritual diet of milk (1 Peter 2:2), bread (Matthew 4:4), meat (Hebrews 5:11-14) and honey (Psalm 119:103). Interesting isn’t it? Sounds like a future podcast episode to me. It’s a progression from new believer with milk to a young believer that has teeth and eating soft foods, to all your adult teeth are in and now you can chew on meat to bringing some sweetness to your understanding.
16:40 – In First Corinthians we find Paul writing to believers who should be maturing but instead they are becoming stall and some are digressing. Paul even shares how the Gospel is to be applied into their lives.
Saints, this is happening even today with you and me, today. We aren’t maturing like we should. We say, “I’ll read my Bible every night before going to bed.” What happens? Everything, including watching so much TV until you can’t keep your eyes open to read it much more to remember to read it. And yet, this starts out innocent enough until you realize you aren’t doing it at all. You just stunted your growth at the place you last left off learning about Christ Jesus.
No new information coming in, no new experiences with joy and understanding.
Bible Reading and study is vital.
18:40 – Saints, we are brought with a price. We are fearfully and wonderfully made. Christ Jesus sacrificed His body for us. Sin always has a bill due, meaning there is a consequence for when you do wrong things, things that are contrary to what the God is commanding of us and from us in the Bible. Here’s the thing, we can’t satisfy sin. So many folks tried before us. They failed and so shall any one else that tries. There isn’t enough ignoring, or doing your own thing, or making, molding your own god, that can satisfy the salivating thirst of sin. Sin breeds sin, breads sin, breads more sin and even more. When Jesus sacrified His body on that cross for the sin of the world, past, present and future. That meant no more animal sacrifices, only believing in the finish work of Jesus Christ. Ponder that (pause)
19:30 – Now Jesus Christ had and has a purpose because He is coming back to get us.
So where are you in the family of God? A growing believer, maturing daily or immature, just hanging hoping you’ll caught a few words here or there, but not really interested in keeping all God’s commands, because the world is changing and you want to keep up with the times. Don’t you know that it’s the times that are to keep up with you. God goes beyond time and so does His Words. He didn’t hand us down words for only Moses and Peter’s times. Nope. But for all time, even after we are gone… into infinity and beyond. A famous saying of Buzzlight Year.
But seriously, saints. I can’t say it enough Bible reading and study are critical to your growth. To you ministering to others. To understanding what your ministry is for such a time as this. Reading the Bible helps you memorize it, get it into you, and even ponder it. Studying the Bible helps you apply it, dig deeper than pondering but recognizing when scriptures apply and keeping them in context.
21:10 – Don’t let man’s wisdom or his constant changes get you off track of trying to find ways to fit in, but find ways to continue hold up God’s principles and share your testimonies, the old ones and the new ones. I wrote a poem called “Who Told You My News Was Old News?” which can be found in this weeks The Me Project Acadmy newsletter. So click on the link below to subscribe to it and hear the poem read.
Also in that same newsletter you will find more information about The Fortified Coaching Program which is free, except you will need to purchase the book to attend. This 8 week study is about growing in our walk with Christ as you seek clarity about our ministry or ways to minister and discover your next steps.
Saints, you are in my prayers. It is a blessing to do each episode with you in mind, so please don’t hesitate to let me know what questions you have, because you never know, I may just put it on an episode. Then answer it. So go to www.hangingoutwithjesuspodcast.com and click on contact.
I pray this episode has propelled you to intentinally and daily hang out with Jesus.
Resource Mentioned on the Episode and suggested reading:
“Who told You My News Was Old News?” by Lyvita Brooks. This poem is exclusively found in this weeks The Me project Academy newsletter. Click here to get the poem and start receiving the newsletter to help you grow in Christ. You will also receive a special checklist for joining.
Calls to Action:
· Sign up for The Me Project Academy Newsletter for resources on managing your time and spiritual discipline tips, with new releases of the podcast.
· Website: www.hangingoutwithjesuspodcast.com
· @hangingoutwithjesuspodcast (Instagram)
· @themeprojectacademy (Pinterest) · [email protected] (for comments)
Crafting Clarity from Understanding in Our Stories with Valeria Elliot
How Fasting and Prayer Produced Gratitude on Day 32
When God says No But You Thought Yes
Hanging Out With Jesus in the New Year
From Adversity to Purpose through Faith
The Transformative Power of Intentional Quietness
Unburdening Your Mind: A Spiritual Exercise for Intentional Living
You Are Created To Do Good Works in Christ Jesus
How Rethinking Failure Increases Faith and Growth
How To Guard Your Heart During Life's Hiccups?
Planning with God to Set Monthly Goals with Intention
Building a Healthy Relationship with Yourself, in Christ
How to Live Intentionally and Daily in Christ
5 Steps to Embracing the Unfamiliar as You Transition Into a New Season of Life
Living Life as God's Beloved Child: Insights from Cecil Taylor
What Crisis Are You In? & Can You Get Out?
Healthy Tips to Jump Start Cleaning Your Temple
What Long-lasting Impact Will You Leave Behind?
What or Who Is Your Side god?
76: Who Are You Standing Up For?
Was Gideon questioning God in the book of Judges? – (Part 1 of 3)
What Setting Goals Can Do For You?
Lyvita Brooks and Guest: Rosemarie Downer
How to Pray Strategically Using a Prayer Journal?
Lyvita Brooks and Guest Sandy Cooper
How to Apply Biblical Patterns and Teachings in Your Prayers
How to Use Journaling to Maintain Your SMART Goals?
The Joy of Being Without Social Media for a Year?
69: 13 Prompts to Goal Setting with Holy Spirit
68: What is a Silent Retreat?
67: Take the Spiritual Diet Challenge for 2023
Do You Really Need To Lie?
"Are You Doing Too Much?"
What is Marriage? When are you Considered Married?
Reclaim Who You Are
Suicide, Cutting/ NOT The Answer
Where Are You In The Family Of God? Mature or Immature
What Is Ministry?
Overcoming Hindrances To Reading Your Bible and Prayer
Lyvita Brooks ad Guest Elad Shapira
Pride: Is It Sneaking Into Your Life?
Lyvita Brooks and Guest Kristi Gaultiere
Church Planting: Making Disciples Who Make Disciple-Makers
The Impact Of A Father’s Love
God's Temple - How To Keep It Clean?
When Was the Last Time You Ate From God’s Word?
Spiritual People vs People of the Flesh: Who Are You?
Lyvita Brooks and Guest Rev. Quinda Richardson
God's Plan Is A Faith Walk For Us
Lyvita Brooks and Guest Speaker Natalie Smalley
Go and Do What God's Calling You To Do!
50: What really is the Gospel Message?
Lyvita Brooks and Guest Rev. Anthony Wilson
49: Called To Glorify God
48: Is Christ Divided? Then Why Are We?
Lyvita Brooks and Guest Rev. Quinda Richardson
47: Do You Know Who You Are?
46: What Do You Value Most About God?
Lyvita Brooks and Guest Richard Reese
45: The Blessings of Doing What God's Called You To Do
Lyvita Brooks with Guest Jewell Utt and Jackie Mapp
44: What Does Watching And Praying Look Like?
43: What Can Challenges Teach You?
42: Are You Prepared For 2022?
41: How To Intercede For Your Business
Lyvita Brooks and Guest Kim Avery
40:Praying For Your Writing Ministry
Lyvita Brooks and Guest CJ Hitz
39:Dads Are You Praying For Your Son(s)?
Lyvita Brooks and Guest Bob Gresh and Jarrod Sechler
38:Let's Practice Journaling
37: Bible Study The Secret Hidden Wisdom Of God
36: Is Today's Church Like the Church at Corinth?
35: How To Connect With Your Calling
34: Do You Have A Relationship With the Holy Spirit?
33: Falling In Love With God's Word
32.Husbands Are You Interceding For Your Wives?
Lyvita Brooks and Guest William Henley and Anthony Wilson and Ray Williams
31: Wives Are You Interceding For Your Husbands?
Lyvita Brooks and Guest Patricia Hooper Jamie Coles Burnette and Kathryn Williams
30: Are You An Intercessor?
Lyvita Brooks and Guest Juin Killingsworth
29: Let's Pray Together - The National Day of Prayer
Lyvita Brooks and 23 Guests
28:Did You Forget Who You Are?
27: Can You Have A Real Conversation With God... Really?
26: Celebrating One Year of Blessings!